en

A photovoltaic plant for a Moroccan agri-business

Investor
Atlantic Foods
Location
Casablanca, Morocco
Investment
Solar Installation
Investment Size
€ 218,372
Financial results
Payback period : 6.67 years
Renewable energy
467,8 MWh /year
CO2 savings
267 t CO2eq per year
Impact
Competitiveness, improved brand image, cost savings and CO2 emissions reduction
Donor
EU, GCF, KTACA, and EBRD SSF

Installation and commissioning of a 353.25 kWp solar power plant on the roof of the logistics storage unit

Based in the Ouled Saleh industrial zone in Casablanca, Atlantic Foods is a fast-growing SME specialising in the import and distribution of food products for the modern circuit and out-of-home catering. The company’s total electricity consumption is 1,130,459 kWh/year. This energy is mainly used for the cold storage rooms, which account for up to 80% of the electricity consumption, the remaining 20% is used for lighting and administration.

The project consists of the design, supply, installation and commissioning of a 353.25 kWp solar photovoltaic power plant on the roof of the company’s logistics storage unit. This type of installation, known as “self-consumption solar power”, will cover part of the site’s electricity needs. This will be in addition to the basic power supply from the public electricity grid (ONEE), which means that the electrical equipment will operate on two sources of electricity, namely the public grid and the photovoltaic generator.

The installation consists of the supply and installation of the following elements : solar panels; inverters; supervision and control system; metal structure and module support; and electrical wiring and connection.

The implementation of this project is expected to produce approximately 467.8 MWh/year, which corresponds to an annual saving of €42,773. The investment costs amount to € 218,372. The project will have a positive economic and environmental impact and will be repaid by the gains generated by the energy savings. The project will also avoid 267 t CO2e/year of greenhouse gases.

Green Value Chain (GVC) in Morocco is a credit facility of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to provide funding to local partner financial institutions for on-lending to Moroccan SMEs belonging to agribusiness, processing industries and logistics value chains and ecosystems. Supported by the European Union, the Green Climate Fund (GCF), the Korean Technical Assistance and Cooperation Account (KTACA) and the EBRD Shareholder Special Fund (EBRD SSF), the facility aims to improve competitiveness of SMEs and that of their value chains and ecosystems through highly efficient green investments.

print