Kyrgyz resort Ak-Tilek invests in wastewater treatment facility

Ak-Tilek resort
Kyrgyz Republic, Sokuluk district
Wastewater treatment & energy saving lighting
Investment Size
Financial results
Payback of 7 years
Electricity savings
29,400 kWh per year
Water savings
5,800 m3 per year
CO2 savings
1.3 tonnes per year
Water and energy savings

The system treats 94% of the polluted water, the remaining 6% is purified naturally by the drainage system.

Investment in new wastewater treatment facility and energy saving lighting helps a Kyrgyz resort, Ak-Tilek, become more energy efficient, save water and supports clean access to water for the downstream neighbours.

Ak-Tilek is a small resort, located in Belogorka gorge on the shores of the Shabai River in the Sokuluk district. It welcomes tourists, nature and sports enthusiasts as well as those wishing to improve their health by drinking kumyz, Kyrgyz traditional drink, fermented horse milk.

In preparation for the upcoming tourist season Ak-Tilek decided to position themselves as a sustainable business by installing wastewater treatment system to meet sanitary norms, protect the environment and safeguard the community’s access to clean water. Dozens of villages are located downstream from the resort and their citizens use the river water for daily routines.

The GEFF team performed the project analysis, assessed the potential of energy savings, financial-technical parameters and risks.

Omor Dzhumanazarov, the owner of Ak-Tilek said “I feel lucky that I learned about KyrSEFF and its technical and incentive components in one of the local banks. I used the loan funds totaling USD 19 000 not only to install the wastewater facility but also for energy efficient lighting in the building”.

The new wastewater treatment cleans the sewage helping Ak-Tilek meet sanitary norms and regulations meaning that the processed water can be disposed of safely or even used for crop irrigation. The project is expected to save over 5,800 m3 of water per year and reduce CO2 emissions equivalent to 1.3 tons per year.

After successful instillation of the new technologies Omor Dzhumanazarov is expecting to receive USD 2,856 incentive from the European Union.

This project is developed by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and supported by the European Union.